Home Page Complete Directory New Articles
  Natural Health Newsletters About Us Advertising

please visit our sponsor

**Free Natural Health Newsletters, Click Here**

  Article: the dangers of paraffin - by Davin Nelson  
     
  The candle has long been a thing of peacefulness and relaxation, capable of filling a room with both soft, appealing lighting and the chosen aroma. It is little known, however, that most candles fill the room with something else as well…toxic, carcinogenic smoke and soot. In fact, burning paraffin candles releases many of the same toxins as diesel fuel. 

This is not surprising when one considers the process of making paraffin wax. It begins at the bottom of the oil barrel, the worst 5% or so rejected by the gasoline industry. This by-product of crude oil refinement is then mixed with another less-than-enticing substance; industrial strength bleach. This is what gives wax its familiar pleasant whiteness. Now add stearic acid and a few other minor ingredients, and you have the very wax burning in your homes. 

Most who become aware of the harmful toxins released by paraffin do not want to expose their families to it anymore, but know little or nothing about alternative waxes. If they know anything at all about other waxes, it is probably that most, such as beeswax, are quite expensive by comparison. There is, however, another alternative which is both non-toxic and inexpensive; Soywax. 

A soywax candle is entirely non-toxic and non-carcinogenic. Anyone who has burned one has probably already noticed this in one way – the absence of black soot on the inside of the candle-holder. When it is considered that this soot is the same substance being breathed when paraffin is burned, the clean glass of a true soywax candle as it burns is comforting. 

It should be noted that the last sentence was qualified, speaking only of ‘true’ soywax candles. This is because many soywaxes are not what they seem to be. The law only mandates a small percentage of the wax to be soy-based in order to be called soywax. Therefore many soywaxes are still made mostly of paraffin. Be wary of any company that does not specify what percentage of the wax is soy-based. The wax I prefer is called NV Soywax, and is 85% soy. The remaining 15% is entirely composed of natural vegetable oils, and is added to make a smoother, more attractive candle. 

There are also many other benefits of using soywax. Apart from being a healthy alternative to paraffin, soywax also burns at a much cooler temperature. The benefit of this is two-fold: 1) soy candles tend to burn about twice as long as their paraffin counterparts, and 2) soy candles retain their fragrance stronger and longer. Furthermore, using soywax supports a renewable U.S. resource rather than an imported, limited oil supply. It is the easily-renewable nature of the soybean industry that makes soywax so affordable!

 
     
 

Prometheus' candles supplies hand-poured soy candles to those who seek to preserve their health. visit us at www.soywax.biz for products and information.


 
 

Home Page | Complete Directory | Articles | Natural Health Newsletters | About Us | Advertising
© 1999-2003 Self Improvement Online, Inc. All rights reserved.